Sunday, October 10, 2010

Sundry Swims In The U.S.A.

I managed to go for a couple of swims while I was over in the U.S.A. for a couple of weeks recently. I spent most of this time in New England, and originally hoped to go swimming in Walden Pond. Some very bad weather put an end to that plan, but I did get the chance to swim in two lakes in Vermont.

Emerald Lake, Vermont



This lake was in one of the State Parks. It was a gorgeous setting, especially with the Fall colour in the forested hills.


The water was cool but very soft and very clear. I swam over to a small island in the lake, then across to a wooded shore. I didn't want to get out at all, but eventually the cold got to me. 

Lake Shaftsbury, Vermont


This lake was shallower than Emerald Lake, so the water was warmer and I was able to spend more time swimming. I swam across the lake to the far shore, and then back out to the middle to duck dive and lazily float on my back. 

These lakes are very popular swimming spots in the summer months, but I was the only one in the water today. 

Later in the week, I was in Maine, and had the chance to swim in the Atlantic Ocean for the first time in 21 years.

Short Sands Beach, Maine


The Atlantic felt every bit as cold as it used to feel when I lived in Cornwall in England. While there were a couple of wet-suited surfers in the water at Long Sands Beach further along the coast, I was the only fool in just a pair of speedos braving the water that day.


1 comment: